Sunday, August 29, 2010

This is not a rental...

Seriously...my house is not a rental.

I own it...well, technically the bank owns it, but I pay them a lot of money for my name to be on the deed!

But really, it's not a rental...so why then, 3 years after we bought it, are our walls still white?  You know...rental house white.

I'm tired of the white walls...it's starting to make me feel like I'm not at home...like I don't own the place...like I'm here temporarily.  I hate that feeling.

So, we need to paint.  One problem...

I can't commit.

I cannot commit to paint color...it's just so permanent.  Yes, I was able to commit my life to my husband.  I was able to commit to a 30 year mortgage.  I was able to commit my life to caring for another human being, my child.

But I cannot commit to paint color.

Hi...my name is Jennifer and I cannot commit to paint color.  Is there a 12-step program to help people like me?

Well, this morning as I sit in my white-walled house, I'm thinking...I must commit to a paint color today.  So, let's start small.  I've decided that I'm going to commit to a paint color for our downstairs bathroom/powder room (I hate that name by the way...we don't "powder" anything in there)...and I'm going to do it today!

I have learned that the money-sucking paint makers have finally given in a little to us homeowners and have finally developed a little tiny container of paint that you can buy for like $3 and bring home and paint a nice little square on your wall, and you don't have to commit to a whole quart of paint that will sit in your garage for the next 10 years.  And once you get this little square painted on your wall, you can leave it there for months while you decide if you like it or not.

Well guess what...I'm going to get one of those containers today...I'm going to paint the little square on my little bathroom wall...and I'm going to only take a week to decide if I like it or not.  That's right people...I'm telling you right here, right now that I will put paint on my wall, and make a decision on whether or not I like it between today and next weekend.

And then guess what...next weekend I'm going to go and buy a quart of paint to paint all of the walls in that bathroom!!  This is like telling everyone you work with that you're on a diet...they're going to hold you to it, come hell or high water.  So people, or person (if anyone is reading this) please start to question me if there is not a post on here next weekend about me painting my bathroom!

I will make this happen...I will commit to paint color...for at least one small room in my house!  I'm hoping that this first step (of my non-existent 12-step program) will lead me to commit to paint color for the other rooms in my house!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment