Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Concede...

It's true.

I've conceded.

I'm a failure.

Ok, I won't go that far...I've done some pretty fantastic things in my life...I did create my son, you know!

Let's back off a little and just call me an uneducated procrastinator.  That's right, you guessed it...

I didn't paint the bathroom...*gasp*!!!

I'll give you a moment...

Ok, sit down...here's the story.

So last weekend, no not the one we just had, the one before that.  You know, the one where I posted that I decided to paint the downstairs bathroom and that I was headed out the door to get samples?  Yeah, that weekend.  Well, guess what...I did get samples!!!  Yay for me...

That's all the cheering we'll be doing in this post.

Any-who...I got the samples, three of them as a matter of fact.  Three pretty colors.  Three samples in their cute little sample containers, specially mixed by the nice lady at Ho.Me De.Pot just for me.  And do you know where those samples are right now?

Not painted on any walls.  Nope.

Those samples are still in their cute little sample containers in the brown plastic Ho.Me De.Pot bag sitting on my dining room table where they landed the second we got home from Ho.Me DePot.  Yep.  That's where they are...not being all sampl-y and stuff.

I had great intentions...I mean, I did go to to the store with my child and my husband and was able to select three colors.  Oh, by the way, did I mention that we selected three colors and then proceeded to return them because we realized that they were flat and not semi-gloss?  Oh, and did I mention that when we returned those first three samples, we were then educated that samples only come in flat?  Hmmmm...yeah.

Lesson #1 - Paint samples only come in flat.

Ok, so we've established the procrastination portion of my issue.  Now for the uneducated part...this is the part that will explain my procrastination...not to worry, it all comes together.

So, Ian and I were talking about painting the bathroom...yes, we actually have spent quite a bit of time talking about it.  I know, I know talking doesn't get it done, but it's important to have a plan and a strategy.  So, we were talking about painting the bathroom, when Ian asked how you paint behind the toilet.  Hmmm...that's a really good question.  And without much thought, believe it or not, we figured out that we have to remove the toilet.  So then the next logical question is...how do you remove the toilet.  This portion of the conversation was a little more extensive, since neither one of us have ever had to remove a toilet.  I'm sure it's a common sense thing...turn the water off, flush until the water is gone, then unbolt and remove.

Well, it started with the toilet...then as I was standing in the bathroom a couple of days later while my child was saying bye-bye to my pee as it was being flushed away, I started to look around.  At this point I realized there is actually a lot of crap in the bathroom and it's not just in the toilet!  I began to realize that we'll need to remove the mirror, the light fixture, the towel bar and the ceiling fan fixture.

Let me remind you that the reason I chose the bathroom in the first place was because it was small and it was "easy".  Hence my lack of education in that department.

Lesson #2 - The bathroom is not the easiest room in the house to paint.

And hence, why I've procrastinated on painting.

Yes, I could easily paint my cute little samples squares and take my time deciding on a color, but I feel like that decision process will go on for months while I procrastinate on disassembling my bathroom!!

So...no, I haven't painted my bathroom.  Yes, I plan to do it sometime in the near future.  But first I need to find the handyman in my husband to help me with the destruction dis-assembly of our our bathroom.

And just like the idea of sharing with your co-workers that you're on a diet...I've learned my lesson.  From here on out, I will only share with you the progress on the painting of the bathroom once it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment